Children's Time: Prayer for School, Prayer for Summer (June, 2, 2013)

(Inspired by Worshipping With Children of Carolyn Brorwn)

Good Morning.

Here we are! It’s June - there are many exciting things happening this month. Can you tell me some things that will be happening? (End of school, church picnic, birthday parties, beginning of summer...)

I am so happy to see you guys today, because I will be away for holiday for about one month. My family is going to Korea for a month, tomorrow, and we won’t be back until the middle of July.

So, someone needs to ask me, “Ha Na, are you excited?”  (wait for someone to ask)
“Yes, I am very excited!”

It will be my family’s first visit to Korea all together since we moved to Canada. My sons Peace and Jah-bi will see their grandparents for the first time in a long time. So, that’s pretty exciting!
But at the same time, I feel sad, because I will miss you, even though we will see each other in July. And I know that when I come back, I may not see some of you right away, because you will be in the middle of your summer vacation.

Have you guys been beginning to think these days what you would like to do during your summer vacation? Have you given it some thought?

Today, I made and brought small prayer cards for each of you;
One side is titled “Prayer for School”.  The other is titled “Prayer for Summer.”
I thought it would be nice to think about the time we are in school, and about the summer when we are out of school!

When you go to Sunday School or home, sometime this week, I hope you can write one prayer for each side; a prayer for school and a prayer for summer. Or you can draw your prayers.

Would you like to write them?
When you write prayers or draw them, what would you like to tell God?
Who would you like to pray for? Why? (We can pray for our friends, teachers, janitors, all others who work at schools, camp leaders, lifeguards, your sports team, dance team, and who else? Ourselves and our family.)

Here are some things I would like to tell God.
(Show the school side of my prayer card.)

Dear God, thank you for our Sunday School children. Thank you for their kindness and eagerness to learn about you! When I shared the children’s time with them, I know I didn’t always do it well; sometimes didn’t know how to answer them, sometimes I forgot to use a prop I prepared, but our children were always same; they smiled, looked me in the eyes, and answered me like joyful birds. Their sparkling eyes are jewels that will be twinkling in my heart even when I am in Korea.

(Show the other side – the summer.)
Dear God, no matter where we are going this summer, or what you will be doing for us, be with our children and us always and in all places. We thank you that you are so big, and your love surrounds us.

See you later. May God bless you. May God’s eyes watch over you like star-lights.

Featured Post

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World (Matthew 22:15-22), Oct 23rd, 2022

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World    (Scripture: Matthew 22:15-22) After the ConXion service, Oct 23rd, 2022, celebrating the ...

Popular Posts