Children's Time: Birds On the Wires (April 27, 2014) - My last message for the children at CUC

Children’s Time: Birds on the Wires


Happy Easter!

Today is a very special day for me; this is my last Sunday to worship with you and everyone here at Chemainus United Church. I have been so blessed to be your minister and friend for the past two years. Knowing you personally, calling your names, blessing the water with you each Sunday morning, and this part of worship – this time with you with stories and wonders – have been a joyous part of my life. Hmm, so, … how do I feel about this? How do I feel about this ending – that I need to say goodbye to you, today? I am sad, I am very sad.

Here is a video clip that I have been hoping to share with you.

One morning, a man called Jarbas Agnelli was reading a newspaper, and he saw a photograph of birds sitting on some wires: This picture! (on the power point screen.) He was so inspired by how these birds – I think they’re crows – were sitting on the wires –. What do you think he decided to do? (Receive the answers.)

He was inspired to make a song! He noticed that there were five wires, like the five lines in a stave of music, and he wondered what melody the birds would create, if he used the exact location of the birds as musical notes! He was so curious that he went ahead and did it! So, here we go- (play the clip.)


I think it sounds beautiful, and I love the idea that all the birds were in the right place to make beautiful notes together.

This is my message for you today: wherever we are, wherever we go, we will find our own individual right place. And wherever we are, wherever we go, we will each continue to be God’s musical note at our own right place. Yet, we are together. We are not alone. Even though we may have to say goodbye to our friends someday, as we grow up, as we change schools, even if we move away we will continue to sing in harmony, in our own right place, an open-ended song for the whole world to hear.

Featured Post

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World (Matthew 22:15-22), Oct 23rd, 2022

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World    (Scripture: Matthew 22:15-22) After the ConXion service, Oct 23rd, 2022, celebrating the ...

Popular Posts