For Whom Sexuality Is Still A Trouble (October 5, 2014)

On Sexuality, Culture, and Christian Church worship
Copying it from my Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/hana.park.357284) If you want to check out people's replies and join in the conversation, send me friend request to my FB account.

As I reflect on my life, except for a few courses I took at University or other rare learning opportunities, I have learned to repress one's sexuality. When I grew up in Korea, the schools never allowed their students from letting their hairs grow long once they enter the junior high school. All the students had to wear school uniforms to be seen all same. My friends and I often saw the teens who were in dating outside the school rules ended up with big troubles. My church was the place that made me regret that I was born as a girl, not a boy. After some years in University, a short, special time period when all the students are suddenly given a permission from the society to explore youth and sexuality, they get married and build a family. Your sex becomes equated with your gender roles. That's my story on sexuality experienced as a Korean female, before I moved to Canada.
Now I am very grateful for my recent discovery and new appreciation on sexuality: sexuality rather than to be used, exploited, abused or controlled, but to be expressed, appreciated and affirmed so that it can perform its creative power that can heal a person. It can help one cast out the burdens of oppression and shame.
I wondered:
what if the church is the place where not only sexuality is 'discussed', but celebrated, where the broken part of a human soul is recognized and the healing is ritualized, and where not only love as agape but love as eros is praised.
It would be a very interesting question for me, personally, studying Jesus teaching on human sexuality. Did he ever?
Sexuality is un-finite. De-finite. There may be In-finite between homosexuality and heterosexuality.
And it seems also interesting to me: so now, theatres celebrate love as eros, arts do so, musics do so, novels do so, and offers their answers in a variety of forms to respond to the question how our new appreciation on human sexuality and love can be employed as a tool to bring equity, freedom, healing, and change.
I wonder, why Christian worship, as an art form, wouldn't do so, to be the feast to celebrate the God's gift given to us to use it with ethics and conscience, discernment, and love. I wonder whether we can be a community that intends to help others for whom sexuality is still a trouble.

Featured Post

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World (Matthew 22:15-22), Oct 23rd, 2022

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World    (Scripture: Matthew 22:15-22) After the ConXion service, Oct 23rd, 2022, celebrating the ...

Popular Posts