Funeral Sermon: Studying the Sky (Feb 19, 2015)

Funeral sermon: Studying the Sky
Ha Na Park

I have two sons; one is eight years old and the other is four. Like most children, they’re quite imaginative. They see what adults often fail to see through their creative imagination. For example, my boys’ favourite thing to do on car rides is study the sky, finding spectacular scenes, which are always different and unique each time they look up. One day, they found a beaming ray of sunlight that cut open the clouds, and they shouted, “Mom, Dad, I just saw Heaven - I’m sure that’s Heaven over there!’ My family used to live on Vancouver Island, before we moved to Winnipeg last July. My older son liked to study the sky back then, too, and I noticed that he especially liked to see the clouds that ran as if they were a river running over the shoulders of the mountains. In the moist, chilly air of a Vancouver Island winter, mountain tops are often draped in the embrace of clouds. My son, seeing it, would say, “Mom, I just saw the stairs that lead up to heaven. I am sure that it is the staircase to Heaven!”

One of the gifts that children often share with us is that they make the unknown, the great mysteries of life and faith, known to us in a very simple, loving and appreciative way.

This week I tried to do the same ‘study’ as I prayed and prepared for our memorial service for Bob, just like my sons study the skies. I sat at my desk, prayed in silent meditation, opened the Bible, and read the passage we’ve just heard, “What does the Lord require of us? Do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with your God.” Then I picked up the bulletin our church administrator had left on my desk. I gave myself a moment’s pause. I was living through a very busy week, yet I didn’t want to rush through my reflective time. I gave myself time to wonder: how a person can be a holy mystery to me, and yet can tell me about life as an irreducible, precious treasure. How this person can teach me and us about how we all have in our being and becoming, in our growing, dying and living, a small seed of Heaven.

I imagine Heaven as a seed - a seed that keeps its being self-contained, that protects its core, its energy and essence, from outside attacks or threats, until it senses the signs of good nurture - the right soil, enough water, plenty of essential minerals. Only then will it carefully open to its surroundings and start its growth. I imagine that the seed of Heaven is something that has been given to us at birth and has been the most beautiful part of us through our life, yet it is so small and secret, so hidden in the depths of our being that it can be very elusive to us to notice, find, treasure, love and grow. Yet, it is so real and true, so solid, and foundational, it can bring about a kind of homesickness. We long for true belonging and loving home-coming to a safe and sacred place where we can be who we are called to be. The playfulness that we can find with this image of Heaven is that this seed of heaven is also like a marble that children like to play with. Children like to play with it, staring into its entrancing depths, but then the marble can easily fall from a child’s small hand. It rolls away, and is hidden in a small dark corner. It is elusive. Children think that they have lost it forever, but it’s really just waiting to be found again, patient in its corner.

This afternoon, we gather together for an hour not just to commemorate and recognize the end of N's life; we are here to honour and affirm the beauty and the strength of a life of a human being. As many faults and mistakes we make in our lives, we know that life itself is a marvel, and our souls possess an unquenchable dignity. As Bob was wonderfully and beautifully made by our God’s hands, now he returns to the embracing home of eternity. The love of Christ in our faith affirms that we are created in the beautiful image of Heaven, the dense cloud of God’s love, “in God’s image.” On Ash Wednesday, which was just yesterday in the Christian calendar, the congregation are called to reflect in a ritual, “Mortals, You are dust, and to dust you shall return.” Dust. I imagine that the seed of Heaven may be the smallest, the least, the most elusive treasure we may find, like dust. The closest analogy to describe Heaven may be to speak of how small dust can be, yet, it is the most basic element that creates and sustains the earth. Dear Bob, a child of God, as you have come from creation, so shall you return to your home - the vast, wide territory of the creation of God, of the marvelous earth, of the illimitable Universe. May the love of Christ be your staircase, resurrection and hope that safely lead you to where you belong, truly and blessedly.


Featured Post

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World (Matthew 22:15-22), Oct 23rd, 2022

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World    (Scripture: Matthew 22:15-22) After the ConXion service, Oct 23rd, 2022, celebrating the ...

Popular Posts