Ha Na's Bio - the original version (in 358 words), Feb, 2018

Ha Na's Bio (2018)

Ha Na’s journey to follow her calling and true path began when she encountered Korean feminist theologian Hyun Kyung and her book, Struggle to be the Sun Again. Creating accountable theologies from lived experiences resonated with Ha Na’s own call towards equity, authenticity and integrity. Ha Na emigrated to Canada in 2006 with her family where she studied at the Vancouver School of Theology, graduating in 2014. From 2007-10, Ha Na served on the Ethnic Ministries Unit-Wide Committee of General Council as a young adult representative, and also as a Student Steward for the World Council of Churches (2007). She served Chemainus UC, BC, as student supply from 2012-14. In 2013, Ha Na accompanied the UCC team to Korea as a translator, supporting this first conversation with the Presbyterian Church of the Republic of Korea on Mutual Recognition of Ministries. Ordained in 2014, Ha Na, her partner Min-Goo and their two sons moved to Winnipeg where she served The United Church in Meadowood, 2014-17. Currently, Ha Na is engaged in solo ministry at Immanuel UC, Winnipeg.

Ha Na states, “I have been trained and raised in the UCC with the growth of Intercultural Ministry. I have developed a keen interest, questions and dreams as well as critically looking at Intercultural Ministry through the lens of the intersection of race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality and feminism.” The gift Ha Na appreciates most living in Winnipeg is the journey of deepening her understanding of Truth and Reconciliation, asking what her responsibility is for this historical breakthrough as a racialized settler. Ha Na has a passion for building conversations to ensure the broader inclusion of leadership and new leadership. She also advocates with and shares the hopes of foreign-born ministry leaders who bring unique gifts to the UCC, especially ethnic minority women as they navigate and struggle to secure their true path through experiences of exclusion and marginalization due to unnecessary barriers and patriarchy.

Ha Na brings a deep faith and gifts for justice and equality to her work with the church. Her passion and desire for the church inspires her ministry towards the beloved community.

The last day of Friendship Kitchen, at The United Church in Meadowood, May, 2017

On Facebook 
#GC43 Some of you may already know that I am running for General Council Commissioner tomorrow at the presbytery meeting. If you can come and support with your presence, that would be great, regardless of who you vote. 

My friend Linda Murray, who passed away this month, said during our last conversation, "When is the next presbytery meeting? I'll go and see, and support you." So I believe that she is here in spirit. I am nervous, and yet also very curious to see what this experience will be like.

I hope you can read my Bio, if you haven't read it, but for anyone who already has, this link shows my original version in 358 words, before being edited into 250 words by my nominator Barbara Marie Janes (barb amazed me with her skills to do it.) Winnipeg Presbytery is clear that there will be no mentioning of who's nominating and the nominee's speech in order to not risk it can be a contest or a campaign.

I believe my voice, my vote and my perspective will matter at the 43rd General Council, not just because I represent one particular aspect of diversity of the United Church of Canada but because of my strong passion, my calling and readiness to advocate for the hopes and dreams of the less-represented people of the United Church. Inclusion of one more voice like mine will help us continue to strive to be truly intercultural through the process of denominational restructuring, and onward, into the future. 
I believe in the gifts of those who have been marginalized and outside the norms to effect the changes that will help all of us to grow and learn and be transformed. This is how we are called to be the church. This is the best way for me to continue to be excited for who I am and for the ministry of the United Church of Canada, and for this reason, I want to be an agent for for change; I wish to be elected for GC 43.

Featured Post

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World (Matthew 22:15-22), Oct 23rd, 2022

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World    (Scripture: Matthew 22:15-22) After the ConXion service, Oct 23rd, 2022, celebrating the ...

Popular Posts