The story of Joseph for an Immigrant (Genesis 45:1-15), August 16th, 2020

Reflection: The story of Joseph for an Immigrant

I’ve never preached about Joseph; today will be the first time. But - I have cried out like Joseph: “Then Joseph could no longer control himself before all those who stood by him, and he cried out… And he wept so loudly that the Egyptians heard it, and the household of the Pharaoh heard it.” Yes, I have cried like that, so loudly that even the Pharaoh could hear. Have you? Joseph’s grief inspires questions: What exactly is he expressing? What kind of situation or story does he find himself in? What is happening? Where is God?

I read the entire Joseph story from the Bible years ago, so I was familiar with it, but, as I have lost the details, I read it again this week. While reading, I wanted to understand the emotions Joseph is expressing as he cries out, and think about what he means when he tells his brothers, “I am your brother Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. And now do not be distressed, or angry with yourselves, because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life. ... So it was not you who sent me here, but God.”

When I read Joseph’s faith statement, “for God sent me before you to preserve life”, I wanted to explore its meaning, because I could intuitively sense its truth to my own life story – years ago, I chose to emigrate from my home country, Korea, to preserve life. It is a special moment when we find ourselves identifying with biblical characters, exploring the truth and depth of a story that spans the ages to speak to us personally.

Here’s the Joseph story in a nutshell, re-narrated by personal interpretation and also based on a few good commentaries. (i.e. Queer Bible Commentary)

Joseph’s story begins in the last pages of Genesis. Far from the God-driven beginning, violence and power now dominate the story. Even God has disappeared as a character – “We are approaching civilisation as we know it”. Joseph is the firstborn son of Rachel, who does not conceive until all of Jacob’s wives, including her sister Leah, have had children of their own. Joseph is both latter-born and firstborn, the beloved son of Jacob, beloved ‘more than any of his other children’. Jacob marks out Joseph with a highly embroidered or ornamented tunic, the coat of many colours. A multi-coloured robe is evocative of the rainbow. It bears the colours of royalty, and of pride and creation. The rainbow is also a sign of hope and, following the Flood, a marker of peace between creator and creation. The rainbow is also a bridge between heaven and earth --- an extraordinarily beautiful sight in the ancient land.

Joseph is elevated, beloved and absolutely favoured by Jacob - - and this favouritism and his own personality of pride and confidence begets hate among his brothers. All of them, the sons of Leah in particular, hate him. Over time, they decide to resort to fratricide to salve their wounded self-esteem. The campaign of harassment, bullying and intimidation waged by Joseph’s brothers becomes clear and obvious. Ultimately, the brothers plot to kill Joseph. Seizing their chance when Jacob sends Joseph to them, (one commentary suggests that the brothers pressured their father into allowing young Joseph to help them), when Joseph approaches, they throw him into a pit. Rueben talks his brothers out of killing Joseph, and Judah proposes to sell Joseph to the Ishmaelites and tell Jacob that he has been killed. Joseph, “the blatantly flamboyant” youth with confidence, queerness (from the Queer Bible Commentary) and pride, is cast into the pit, torn away from his people and sent off a captive, despised and rejected, to Egypt.

Fast forward: Joseph is sold into the house of Potiphar. As a refugee, he thrives: Joseph becomes successful in his undertakings for Potiphar and is promoted to be his personal attendant. At this point, Joseph, “handsome and good looking”, comes to the attention of Potiphar’s wife, spurns her advances and is sent to prison by her vengeful accusations. And there, in prison, he displays his talent for dream interpretation, and this gift eventually brings him to the attention of the Pharaoh. Summoned by the Pharaoh to interpret the dream of the seven fat ears of grain being eaten by seven shrivelled ears of grain, Joseph predicts seven years of abundance to be followed by seven years of famine. Joseph further suggests that Pharaoh appoint someone to superintend all of Egypt so as to ensure the resources of the land are managed to survive the famine. Impressed, Pharaoh appoints Joseph to the task.

Fast forward again: the famine is not only in Egypt but Canaan as well; Jacob and his sons decide to migrate to Egypt to seek a way for the family to survive the devastating long-term famine. When the brothers arrive in Egypt, they are recognized by Joseph – a Joseph who is in the position to confront his old pain: the deep hurt and trauma of being rejected, threatened with death and sold into slavery by his own brothers. This ends the summary of Joseph’s story, and here, I would like to share two questions with you: How does “hate” start and grow in our minds and hearts? What is the nature of “hating” someone, especially hating people in certain groups for who they are? What I see in today’s story is that hatred is not just a feeling; it grows into actions like crime, injustice, and even genocide when it becomes systemic. It is not just that Rueben hated Joseph or Judah hated him or any of the individual eleven brothers hated him; Joseph became the hated focus, the prey of eleven others who are supposed to be a family. There were 11 people together that created the pit of murder, of violence, of erasure. Even the father Jacob was complicit, failing to see or defuse the older brothers’ rage against his favourite son.

When reading the story of Joseph, I thought about some news I read recently from Korea. Migrant workers, which Korea imports as cheap labour, are “used” to sustain the Korean economy in low-paying, dangerous jobs - the Korean economy and society definitely need them. However, these individuals, recruited and imported for gain and purpose, are “hated” and vulnerable to abuse. This news breaks my heart. It is quite similar to Canada’s past in which Chinese men were recruited as cheap labour to build railroads and work in factories. They were brought here, and faced terrible discrimination, immigration quotas, a head tax and, in 1923, new laws that excluded most Chinese from immigrating to Canada. They were hated. This kind of hatred is not just about the feelings one person has towards another person; it is more about systemic domination and maintenance of power. It just needs 11 others who discriminate and threaten and exclude those who are different from them. The system needs their labour but scorns their humanity. In this sense, in so many parts of the world, in Korea and even Canada, (as long as colonialism and patriarchy exist), women are generally and specifically hated. Queer people are hated. Indigenous people are hated. I can truly say that I have received hate and been hated - in that sense of awareness and acknowledgement, I can identify with the part of the story where “Joseph could no longer control himself before all those who stood by him, and he cried out. He wept so loudly that the Egyptians heard it, and the household of the Pharaoh heard it.”

What’s even more extraordinary and inspiring, then, is that Joseph asks all those who stood near him to leave, (except for his brothers) and allows himself to wail and release exploding emotions from his bitter agony and anger and sadness over his past abuse. He speaks in Hebrew to his brothers and says, “Do not be distressed, or angry with yourselves, because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life. … God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors. So it was not you who sent me here, but God; … Hurry and go up to my father and say to him, … “Come down to me, do not delay. You shall settle in the land of Goshen, and you shall be near me, you and your children and your children’s children, as well as your flocks, your herds, and all that you have. I will provide for you there  - since there are five more years of famine to come - - so that you and your household, and all that you have, will not come to poverty.”” … “Then he fell upon his brother Benjamin’s neck and wept, while Benjamin wept upon his neck. And he kissed all his brothers and wept upon them; and after that his brothers talked with him.”

For a long time, I have not been feeling settled in my understanding of my relationship with my home country (especially my relationship with its systemic patriarchy). I still feel bitter agony and sadness about what I experienced. I am also unsettled in my recollections of the mistreatment I have experienced in Canada (sexism is part of it) and with witnessing many different cases of racial injustice against minorities and Indigenous peoples in this land. I remember, one day, I pondered, “Can good eventually come from evil acts?”

Joseph’s faith statement to his brothers answers this question with truth and wisdom: The right answer is not that some good comes from evil, by the act of overcoming it. We see the pattern that throughout the history of Israel, God works with extraordinary and ordinary people to restore the community from disaster, famine, flood, immigration, slavery, through the great transition and liberation: Through crossing the sea, crossing the desert. In God’s history, God uses and preserves the life of such individuals as Joseph – splendid, bold, different, free, loved, hated, forgiving and loving. God also uses many women’s lives (Hagar, Dinah, Tamar, all beacons of inappropriateness) very dramatically because Israel’s culture at that time was very patriarchal and woman-hating. These are the characters in Genesis, and they cleverly create and therefore continue the lineage of life that would eventually reach the birth of Jesus. I feel comforted and uplifted when I know my immigration is to preserve my own life and that of the generations who come after me. I am not here because of the adversity and lack of hope I experienced before leaving Korea; it was God who sent me and desired me to preserve my life and the life of many generations. I still have a purpose to fulfill. 

Now, you might wonder how the story of Joseph ends, ending Genesis along with it. By revealing himself to his brothers, Joseph sets in motion the move of his family to Egypt, thus enabling them to survive the famine. He really serves as the protagonist to move his family into a successful immigration and a new life. Where is God in all of these actions? God’s history is like this: In Genesis 46:2 - - the conclusion of Genesis - , God tells Jacob, “I myself will go down with you to Egypt”. And God does not appear again until Exodus, when the next devastating situation calls a hero and prophet, Moses, to bring his people out from Egypt and return to Canaan. God’s vision for us still writes its song of freedom even when we are not certain about our own song-writing. God uses you to preserve life for all - - It is God’s vision for all of us, as it was for Israel.



Featured Post

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World (Matthew 22:15-22), Oct 23rd, 2022

Sermon: The Images of God in the Reversed World    (Scripture: Matthew 22:15-22) After the ConXion service, Oct 23rd, 2022, celebrating the ...

Popular Posts